12.27.2007

The Stars at Night are Big & Bright...


Being home in the big and beautiful state of Texas has given me time to really reflect on many things. One of those things being the reason why we are here in the world. Freud once theorized that the primary human drives for life were to seek pleasure and to avoid pain. Now that is definitely one position but not one that I would rest comfortably on. Upon reading "the five secrets you must discover before you die", a book I strongly recommend thanks to my mentor, I would suggest that it is more about finding happiness and meaning in life. That is, being able to experience joy and a deep sense of contentment on a day to day level.

Being back at square one or home base - the place where everything used to seem so large and expansive - I wish that I would have had this insight a bit earlier. Once I graduated from high school, I attempted to separate myself from all things that were representative of my past and growing up a blue collar country boy. I felt that through the separation I would allow room for a new and brighter life. But over the years and infrequent visits back home I have to come to really embrace my country roots. It is, after all, who I am and I can't remove that fact nor would I want to. This realization has added to my pursuit of happiness and meaning in my existence. And on this trip I have really enjoyed my time here in TEXAS. So now, maybe the the stars at night aren't the only things that are big and bright...maybe my eyes, heart & mind are too.

3 Comments:

At December 28, 2007 at 7:49 AM , Blogger Planetsram said...

Yeeee Haaaa! :0)

 
At December 29, 2007 at 1:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Epiphanies are dope.

 
At December 29, 2007 at 3:08 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

*wiping tears from the corner of my eyes*

heartwarming, stanklin.

*sniff sniff*

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home