11.10.2007

Why my shirt is smaller than the average "urban" Puerto Rican...


Greetings all,

I want to share something with you all. A little theory I have about Puerto Ricans in the United States. Yes I am Puerto Rican so I can speak intelligently on this subject.

A few years ago I decided to change my look in regards to the way I dress. I put down the name brand clothes and moved on to shirts that had pigs on it, hats that looked like a trucker would wear it and good 'ole Levi's jeans...I've since switched the jeans to Seven Jeans, they fit really good on me...I love those jeans. I also shaved off the "chin strap" beard I had and kept the goatee.

Now, I know you're asking "By golly Rico, why did you ever do that"? Well...I had to make a change so I wouldn't be lumped in with every other "urban" Puerto Rican that was walking around Atlanta.

"Urban" Puerto Rican?...does that mean there is such a thing as a "suburban" Rican? Why yes it does! In my 26 years of life I've noticed that certain nationalities have a harder time maintaining there culture in different places, such as Puerto Ricans. I will use Asians and Mexicans to support my hypothesis.

Asians and Mexicans to me are the prime example of being able to maintain their culture no matter where they are. It's very simple why...

The population of Asians and Mexicans are very high in the US, so that means they can move to California, NY, Atlanta, Texas, Chicago, etc and still maintain their culture because when they get to wherever the final destination is, they have the opportunity to meet many people who share the same culture as they do. Are you following me?

Now, Puerto Ricans on the other hand, don't have that wonderful luxury. We have that luxury in NY...that's it! And no, not Miami, those are Cubans down there. (Some people like to lump all Hispanic cultures in the same "pot") So for a Puerto Rican moving to Atlanta, they have 1 of 2 options...right...urban or suburban.

You either attach yourself to the black or white community. We can't come together and hang with each other because there aren't enough of us in the Atlanta area. I've met maybe a total of 5 Puerto Ricans in the 15 years I've lived in the ATL. I'm not exaggerating at all!

I myself fall in to the "urban" category for a couple of reasons. I've always been able to identify more with that category and I've always lived in "urban" areas. My cousins on the other hand are the exact opposite. They live in Cumming, GA...yes, there are people of color that live out there. So their lifestyle is more of a "suburban" style of living. The friends they have, the things they do for fun, and really their whole mentality is different. We both look at each other weird sometimes...like who are you trying to be? We all came from NY to Atlanta, but went in to 2 different areas and have 2 different mentalities. It is really interesting when you think about it. So that's why my shirt is smaller than the average Puerto Rican...separation!

It's hard to say everything I want to say and explain it in the detail that I would like to, but this is the overall theory I have. So when my book comes out, rest assure that there will be a nice section on this very issue. But I hope some of you understand what I mean. Have any of you had to conform to one side or the other? I would love to hear some of your experiences.

Till next time...

Lord Rico

P.S.

The views and opinions expressed in this blog do not reflect the views and opinions of The W.A.S. These are solely my beliefs.

7 Comments:

At November 11, 2007 at 2:44 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That crazy because I think the hispanics in NY automatically latch on to the black community. We have way too much in common, of course in a place like NY you are able to keep your culture intact but at the same time I think we assilimate with the black culture too. - Shellz

 
At November 12, 2007 at 4:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know exactly what you mean...i had to switch up m appearance too just so i wouldnt look like every one else...kinda funny...i live in suwanee...it is like 5 mins from cumming

 
At November 14, 2007 at 10:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

yo i think categories like urban and suburban and white and black are so 2000. lets move into the next century and just be yerself.

 
At November 15, 2007 at 6:08 PM , Blogger A.E.Joseph said...

I agree with last anonymous dude... just do what you want!

 
At November 25, 2007 at 5:17 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Puerto Ricans suck... ya'll walk around like you are the greatest thing in the hispanic community. Ha! Yeah right.

 
At March 9, 2011 at 9:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

its completely mindblowing, how on the other side of the world, in South Africa,i have similar if not uncomfortably exact experiences. although the dynamics are different, you're in the minority, and i as a black south african, in the majority. but because i speak fluent english,and had more white people in my high school than most schools down here,my views and opinions are polar opposites to those of some of my family members. i love it though, it makes life so much more interesting and makes for some dramatic family get togethers.

 
At March 9, 2011 at 9:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

its completely mindblowing, how on the other side of the world, in South Africa,i have similar if not uncomfortably exact experiences. although the dynamics are different, you're in the minority, and i as a black south african, in the majority. but because i speak fluent english,and had more white people in my high school than most schools down here,my views and opinions are polar opposites to those of some of my family members. i love it though, it makes life so much more interesting and makes for some dramatic family get togethers.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home